Reinstatement of a Lapsed License (8-Year Retake)
Applicants for reinstatement must have once held a permanent license in California that has been expired 8 years or longer. The two methods of reinstatement are as follows:
- Applicants who presently hold a current and active registered nurse license in another state, U.S. Territory, or Canada may apply as an 8-Year Renewal. Please refer to the 8-Year Renewal section of our website for information and instructions.
- Applicants that do not hold a current and active registered nurse license in another state, U.S. Territory, or Canada are required to retake the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) and must apply as an 8-Year Retake.
All applicants must provide the following items:
- Appropriate fees (Page 1)
- Completed "Application for Licensure by Examination - 8-Year Retake", including U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) (Pages 8-9)
- Completed fingerprints using either Live Scan or fingerprint card (Hard Card) processing method (Page 5)
NOTE: The application packet does not include a Live Scan form or Hard Card. Please refer to Fingerprint Information to download or request these items.
- One recent 2" by 2" passport-type photograph attached to the reverse side of the "Application for Licensure by Examination - 8-Year Retake" (Page 9)
- Completed "Request for Accommodation of Disabilities" and accompanying form(s), if applicable (Page 7)
- If applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in the "Reporting Prior Convictions or Discipline Against Licenses" section of the application packet (Page 4)
NOTE: See Important Notice Regarding Your Application for additional information for applicants with criminal convictions or discipline.
Please refer to our Processing Times page for current timeframes.