IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are no longer issuing Temporary Licenses at the Board’s front counter.
Licensure by Endorsement
To qualify for endorsement (reciprocity) into California as a RN, you must hold a current and active license in another state or Canada, have completed an educational program meeting all California requirements, and have passed National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) or the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE). The Canadian Comprehensive Examination is not acceptable. If you do not possess these qualifications, you do not qualify for licensure by endorsement and must apply to take the examination instead.
All Applicants Must Provide the Following:
- Appropriate Fees.
- Completed Application for Licensure by Endorsement including a U.S. social security number.
- Completed fingerprints using either the Live Scan Process or the Applicant Fingerprint Card (Hard Card) processing method as directed in the "Instructions for Submitting Fingerprint Cards". Submit the appropriate nonrefundable TOTAL FEE as directed on the Application Fee Schedule.
NOTE: Application does not include fingerprint cards or live scan form. Fingerprint cards and livescan forms may be requested on the Requests page.
- One recent 2" x 2" passport-type photograph.
- Completed Verification of License form OR Nursys® Verification Request Application if your board of nursing participates in Nursys®. International graduates must also submit license verification from the board of nursing where the examination was taken.
NOTE: Nursys® verifications expire 90 days from the date of request. Please do not request your Nursys® verification prior to submission of your endorsement application or it may expire before your file can be fully evaluated.
- Request for Transcript form(s) completed and forwarded directly from the nursing school(s) with certified transcripts.
- If applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in Section II of the General Information and Instructions.
- Request for a Temporary License (optional) if you wish to begin work pending issuance of a permanent license.
PLEASE NOTE: Processing time for a temporary license may take 6-8 weeks.
- IN ADDITION FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
Send Breakdown of Educational Program for International Nursing Programs form to your school with the Request for Transcript form. Also provide the Certified English Translation form to your certified translator if your transcript is not in English. (See the Supplemental Application Instructions for International Graduates section of the application.)