The Board of Registered Nursing apologizes for the difficulties applicants are experiencing in receiving their Authorization to Test (ATT) from Pearson VUE. Data between the new BreEZe System and Pearson VUE is not transmitting properly. Please be assured that the BreEZe team, Pearson VUE and the BRN are working to resolve the problem.
At this time, it is not possible to provide a date when ATTs will be issued. Once there is a solution, applicants will receive an email from Pearson VUE regarding their ATT.
Licensure by Examination
Applicants must take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) if they have never taken and passed, or been licensed as a registered nurse in another state. All applicants must have completed an educational program meeting all California requirements. If you are lacking any educational requirements, you must successfully complete an approved course prior to taking the examination.
All Applicants Must Provide the Following:
- Appropriate Fees.
- Completed Application for Licensure by Examination including a U.S. social security number.
- Completed fingerprints using either the Live Scan Process or the Applicant Fingerprint Card (Hard Card) processing method as directed in the "Instructions for Submitting Fingerprint Cards". Submit the appropriate nonrefundable TOTAL FEE as directed on the Application Fee Schedule.
NOTE: Application does not include fingerprint cards or live scan form. Fingerprint cards and livescan forms may be requested on the Requests page.
- One recent 2" x 2" passport-type photograph.
- Completed Request for Accommodation of Disabilities form(s), if applicable.
- Request for Transcript form(s) completed and forwarded directly from the nursing school(s) with certified transcripts.
- If applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in Section II of the General Information and Instructions.
CLICK HERE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS WITH CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS OR DISCIPLINE
- Click here for additional information about the NCLEX® from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- Click here for an NCLEX® Using CAT video from National Council of State Boards of Nursing which explains the exam process
- Click here for additional information on testing locations
- IN ADDITION FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
- A. Send Breakdown of Educational Program for International Nursing Programs form to your school with the Request for Transcript form. Also provide the Certified English Translation form to your certified translator if your transcript is not in English. (See Supplemental Application Instructions for International Graduates with the application.)
- B. Submit a copy of your license or diploma that allows you to practice professional nursing in the country where you were educated. Also, provide copies of your certificates for midwifery and psychiatric nursing, if applicable.