Reinstatement of a Lapsed License (8-Year Retake)
Applicants for reinstatement must have once held a permanent license in California that has been expired 8 years or longer. The two methods of reinstatement are as follows:
- Applicants who presently hold a current and active registered nurse license in another state, U.S. Territory, or Canada may apply as an 8-Year Renewal. Please refer to the 8-Year Renewal section of our website for information and instructions.
- Applicants that do not hold a current and active registered nurse license in another state, U.S. Territory, or Canada are required to retake the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) and must apply as an 8-Year Retake.
All applicants must provide the following items:
- Appropriate fees (Page 1)
- Online "Application for Licensure by Examination - 8-Year Retake", including U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Completed fingerprints using either Live Scan or fingerprint card (Hard Card) processing method (Page 3)
NOTE: The application packet does not include a Live Scan form or Hard Card. Please refer to Fingerprint Information to request these items.
- Completed "Request for Accommodation of Disabilities" and accompanying form(s), if applicable (Page 7)
- If applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in the "Reporting Prior Discipline Against Licenses" section of the application packet (Page 2)
NOTE: See Important Notice Regarding Your Application for additional information for applicants with criminal convictions or discipline.
Please refer to our Processing Times page for current timeframes.